We're Kevin and Sebrina - Halifax Nova Scotia Elopement Photographers and Small Wedding planning guides. Available worldwide to bring to life your unique and intentional wedding day.
What Does My All Day Elopement Look Like?
An all day elopement is about creating a memorable experience that is full of the things you love, things that brought you together, and all things unique to you as a couple. It’s your own magical way to celebrate your commitment and unity.
This is how a typical timeline can look on your day:
Getting Ready – 1 to 2 hours
With an elopement, you can really take your time here. The two of you can get ready together or separately, or even at different locations. Think fancy hotel, adorable BnB, or rustic cabin at the bottom of a trail or lake. Or even at home!
You can have a lazy morning with cuddles, exchange special gifts, have the cutest breakfast at your rental, or get out the door lickety-split and ready for an all day adventure!
First Look – 1 Hour
- This can happen at the same location you get ready, or if you’re in different spots, we can meet in another place entirely. Somewhere nature-y and beautiful, somewhere special like where you had your first date, you name it!
- The first look really sets the mood and gets you in that emotional frame of mind. It’s the “omg we’re about to do the thing!” feeling. 🙂
Portraits – 1 to 2 hours
- These can happen either before or after the ceremony, or both! Some couples like to use the first look location, or have multiple locations. This can give you a lot of variety that you don’t get on a traditional wedding day. And because you have more time, the quality is that much more amazing!
- If your adventure is outdoorsy and full of walks/hikes, then portraits can happen throughout the day in a more lifestyle and candid setting. This’ll have your images looking super genuine and in the moment
Travel – 1 to 2 hours
- Depending on where you’d like to go, and the plan for the day, travel usually takes 1 to 2 hours. Some of that travel can be documented, like hiking, garden walks, wine tastings, hot air-balloon rides, etc. But some of it will undoubtedly be en route to portrait locations, ceremony spot, etc.
Ceremony – 15 minutes to 1 hour! Or anything!
- This is a ceremony that you can create, and it can take any length of time! Some couples like to do a quick 15 mins with a JOP, and others like to add in their own meaningful rituals. Like, a hand fasting for example!
- Some couples also write their own vows, do readings, or have other unity rituals from other cultures. Have it in Elvish! Whatever tickles your fancy!
Reception/Picnic – 2 hours
- Again, you can really take this in any direction. You could have a fancy romantic dinner together, or have a beautiful picnic with champagne, snacks, even hire a private chef to make a home-cooked meal. OR feed each other giant pizzas and poutine! Celebratory donairs!
- You could even take this opportunity to invite friends and family for a little celebration after having the elopement ceremony. It’s a fun way to have your day intimate, and then also share in the celebration with the people closest to you. 🙂
Lastly, just because you’ve decided to forego the stressful and rushed day of a traditional wedding, that doesn’t mean you have to automatically throw away all the little details! You can still share in the moment of having an intimate first dance, creating a wild bouquet, or cutting a cake together. You can even create your own traditions that are unique to you as a couple! <3